Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Shades of Gray…







In 2nd grade I got my fingers on Billy Joel’s River of Dreams album and memorized each track. The title of this post has little to do with his song “Shades of Gray.” Just saying.
I spend much of my time scanning fashion rags, fashion blogs and the NY Times Fashion + Style section online and the consensus in the last few weeks slash months is that this summer is a summer of white. I disagree. In Portland summer 2010 is gray: charcoal and heather. Maybe it is a result of the brevity that is this summer. Or that as a Portlander investing heavily in a summer wardrobe is not financially sound. Either way, I am going gray. Not up top just yet, mind you, in my closet.
These are some of the recent additions. The first is a vintage Mizz Lizz that I purchased from Living Threads for $18. The second item is my new favorite outer layer by Love Squared out of the Junior Department of Nordstrom, for less than $25. The other items include a Juicy Couture Dress made of a braided velour purchased at Buffalo Exchange for $11, a 3/4 sleeve dress from the sale rack at Urban Outfitters for less than $20, and a miniskirt by Rampage purchased a while ago at a thrift shop that no longer exists on West Morrison. There must be someone out there who misses the Council Thrift as much as I do. Today the space is now occupied by an ultra lounge and a personal training gym.
Side note: just in case you hadn’t put the pieces together ultra is the new douche.
Back to the garments the drippy wrappy sweatery item is from Forever 21, I believe it was under $10, but I would have paid $30 not to have to push my way through crowds of Teen Spirit to get it. Oh, least I forget the flats are by Qupid and they were another Buffalo Exchange score for $7. The beat-up Asics Tigers are from Buenos Aires and they go for the peso equivalent of $50.
PS: the bf’s closet is also going grey. Awesome sport coat score at William Temple Thrift for under $6 (that includes the discount drawn out of the fish bowl on the counter). And the old Urban Outfitters cardigan has become recent staple.
Fall 2010 will be all shades of gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment