Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday's "Style Wars"

This is one of those Tuesdays where time is divided up into 45-minute increments.Laundry; detergent, wash cycles, lint filters and quarters. The Beatles are now available on iTunes and there are exactly 9 grams of protein in the Luna Bar that I ate for breakfast. And I am sure that the double americano from the coffeehouse has none. I am playing voicemail tag with my mother and trying to figure out how I should approach the latest On the Street with Bill Cunningham titled Style Wars. I look at my closet. I realize that there are dust bunnies to sweep but the timer on the dryer is ticking.


Meanwhile these questions keep scrolling through my head like one of those old pianos. How does a modern man or woman dress? What are the objectives? Is it individuality, personal mission statements, self-expression? Is street fashion a reaction to the minimalism on the runway? Is the camel coat really offensive?
Then images of Diane Keaton in Annie Hall and Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde keep flashing in my mind's eye like police siren lights. The goal: to mix the old with the new. Speaking of new, H&M opened five days ago in Pioneer Place. I haven’t been yet. I am holding out. Holding out because I suppose I am afraid to have the same basics as everyone else. Which worries me now more than it did when I purchased the same basic American Apparel tee and hoodie as half of Portland. Weird. Maybe then it is individualism that I am striving for. Or is there a sustainability factor?

While pondering the dilemma, which is my winter wardrobe, I am sporting my new, well “new to me” brown Rockport flats. A brand I was sure as a child only belonged to sensible baby boomers. I suppose when it comes to footwear a girl can make an exception every once and again. Thank you Goodwill for keeping things interesting. As for the Style Wars, at this point anything goes, and best of luck to you and your closet.



No comments:

Post a Comment